Thursday, September 23, 2010

Best Ever Banana Bread

My very first cookbook, the Immanuel Lutheran Church 90th Anniversary Cookbook, was a gift from my Grandma Renner back in 1992 from her tiny little church community in Zap, ND.  This cookbook is classic German Russian cooking, and I love it.  It is full of the recipes that my Grandma cooked for us when our family visited my grandparents farm.  The one recipe that I've made more than any other from this book is "Best Ever Banana Bread" by Ella Lieffelbein (what a great name:)) It's true.  It really is the best banana bread ever.  I never bake any other kind of banana bread. . . .why change a good thing?




Best Ever Banana Bread

1 3/4 C. all-purpose flour
1 1/2 C. sugar
1 tsp. baking soda
1/2 tsp. salt

2 eggs
1 C. mashed ripe bananas (2-3)
1/2 C. canola oil
1/4 C. plus 1 T. buttermilk
1 tsp. vanilla
1 C. walnuts ( I normally use 1/2 C.) or chocolate chips if wanting a dessert bread

In a large bowl, stir together flour, sugar, baking soda, and salt.  In a medium bowl, combine eggs, bananas, oil, buttermilk, and vanilla.  Add to flour mixture, stirring with whisk until just combined. Fold in nuts. Pour into a greased 9x5x3 inch baking pan.  Bake at 325 degrees for 1 hour and 25 minutes (or until toothpick comes out clean. This loaf was done in 1 hour 15 minutes). Let rest and remove from pan when cool.
 Recipe does not double well.