Thursday, September 9, 2010

Veggie Chili

Fall is in the air.  The Minnesota State Fair is over, the leaves are starting to turn,  and the air is crisp.  Most people who know me are well aware that I love the heat and dislike colder weather (I know. . .why do I live in MN?).  That being said. . .I'm ready for football, cuddling up on the couch in front of the fireplace, and cooking up a storm in the house.  Soup, chili, casseroles, and roasts are on my mind.    This chili recipe is healthy, economical, and easy enough to cook on a weeknight.   My husband even likes it without meat.   It can also be made in the crock pot-just saute veggies over the stove and throw everything together in the crock pot on low all day. 

Veggie Chili (originally from Cooking Light)
1 Tbsp. olive oil
2 cups chopped onion
1/2 cup chopped yellow pepper
1/2 cup chopped green pepper
2 garlic cloves, minced
1 Tbsp. brown sugar
1 1/2 Tbsp. chili powder ( I add a bit more)
1 tsp. ground cumin ( I add a bit more)
1 tsp. dried oregano
1/4 tsp. salt
1/2 tsp. black pepper
2 cans (16 oz.) stewed tomatoes
2 cans (15 oz.) black beans, rinsed and drained
1 can(15 oz.) kidney beans, rinsed and drained
1 can (15 oz.) pinto beans, rinsed and drained

Heat oil in Dutch oven over med-high heat.  Add veggies and saute for 5 minutes.  Add brown sugar and rest of ingredients. I like spicy food, so add more seasonings. Bring to a boil.  Reduce heat and simmer for at least 30 minutes. 







Serve topped with cheese of your choice, chunks of avocado (salted, and sprinkled with lime juice), and tortilla chips.




It's game time!