Sunday, October 3, 2010

Barbette

Love French food.  It's by far my favorite cuisine.  Wine, bread, cheese, mussels, steak frites,creme brulee, and chocolate pot-de-creme.   The French have got it down.  When I want to get my French food fix, I prefer bistros over a formal setting.   Barbette, in the Uptown neighborhood of Minneapolis usually does it for me.  My Mom and Step-Dad were in town over the weekend and treated us to dinner.  Barbette did not disappoint.  The atmosphere is cozy, eclectic, bohemian hipster-like.  Of course the moment we sat down, my very vocal 4 -year-old had to shout about and point to the painting of a naked woman's backside on the wall:) 

We started dinner with a bottle of Cotes-du-Rhone red wine, mussels, and the olive plate.  Wine was perfect.  The mussells were ok. . .I've had better at Barbette before.  They needed more flavor. Olives were warm and delicious; served with grilled crostini. 

Entrees were incredible.  The server was nice enough to offer to have the chef make a grilled cheese with frites for Jack.  I had a nibble of his sandwich and frites. . .yum.


 The guys had the steak frites.  I didn't taste the steak, but was told it was prepared perfectly. . . so much so that Jack kept asking for more bites.   

My Mom and I had the fish special, cod with hen of the woods mushrooms, leeks, and topped with beet greens and black truffle emulsion.  Pure heaven. 


Dessert--always creme brulee for Courtland. . .he likes to crack the top (just like Amelie's dad).   We also shared the molten chocolate cake with salted caramel and ice cream. 



Perfect way to end dinner.