Sunday, August 29, 2010

Kale

I have grown to love kale.   I thought it was a bit bitter when I first started cooking with it a few years ago, .  I've found that the moment lemon juice is added, that bitterness isn't so dramatic.  Kale is full of all things good for your body. . .water, vitamins, fiber.  I prefer the "Dino" variety, but also like the "Curly" kind. 


My first introduction to kale was when my girlfriend, Mia, got me into drinking green smoothies. I have to admit that I don't LOVE green smoothies. . .I tolerate them because I know they are good for me, especially the day after I've indulged too much.   I have a Vitamix and it is the king of all blenders. . .the thing blends anything.

Green Smoothie
Handful of kale
1/2 or whole peach, apple, pear (or strawberries)
squeeze of  1/2 lemon
ice
1/2 cup or more water

Combine in blender and blend until smooth. 



Sauteed Kale
Chopped kale
olive oil
salt, pepper
red pepper flakes (optional)
lemon

Saute a bunch of kale in a saute pan on high with a couple tablespoons of water.  Kale is done when color turns.  Do not overcook, or it will be mushy.  Drizzle with a little olive oil, salt, pepper, and 1/4 or 1/2 a lemon.



Kale Chips
 kale leaves-torn from stem into large pieces
1 tbsp olive oil
sea salt to taste

Combine above in a large bowl.  Spread on baking sheets and bake at 300 degrees for 20 minutes.  Add additional salt if needed.  Best if eaten day of baking.