Thursday, August 26, 2010

Easy Weeknight Meals

I've gotten a few requests to post meals that are easy to make during the week.  Black bean tacos and BLTAs (Bacon, Lettuce, Tomato and Avocado) Sandwiches are frequently on our weekly menu at home.  I came up with the bean taco recipe back when I was living by myself and living on a tight budget.  I've included my guacamole recipe as well.   It's super easy to make and doesn't require chopping up any extra ingredients.  My kid eats it straight from the bowl.

Guacamole
1 ripe avocado, mashed
1 Tbsp of Salsa (I like homemade or Green Mountain Gringo brand)
juice of 1/2 lime
sprinkling of hot sauce
sprinkling of salt


Black Bean Tacos
Corn or flour tortillas
1 can black bean tacos, drained and rinsed
shredded cheese of your choice
light sour cream
guacamole
salsa
sprouts

Heat up the black beans in the microwave for 1 to 1 1/2 minutes.  Heat tortillas according to package directions.  Top tortillas with rest of ingredients. 





Bacon, Lettuce, Tomato, and Avocado Sandwiches
Whole grain bread or bread of your choice
Turkey bacon
Spinach
Sliced cheddar cheese
Mashed Avocado, salted, and mixed with a bit of lime juice
Lettuce or spinach
Sliced tomato, salted and peppered


Heat bacon according to package directions.  Toast bread and spread with avocado mixture.  Top sandwich with bacon, cheese, tomato, and lettuce.  Serve with a side of veggies.