Sunday, August 22, 2010

Bundt Cake

I am not the biggest fan of baking cakes. . .particularly the kind with multiple layers and loads of crisco laden frosting.   I do love baking bundt cakes though.  They are easy and have a nostalgic sort of appeal. One favorite is my mom's recipe for Better than Sex Cake.  I know what you're thinking. . .chocolate cake with caramel, toffee bits, and whipped cream. . .not my mom's version.   She baked this cake quite often for my brother and I when we were kids.   I still love it.  The recipe is from the cookbook,  "If it Tastes Good, Who Cares?" (1992), by Pam Girard, a Bismarck, ND resident.   It's super easy and goes well with a side of vanilla ice cream.  This is not healthy, clean food, but certainly a treat.  Jack loves to lick the beaters. . .what kid doesn't?





Better Than Sex Cake
1 pkg. yellow cake mix
1 pkg. instant vanilla pudding
1/2 cup canola oil
1/2 cup water
4 large eggs
1 cup light sour cream (or regular if you prefer)
1 bar baking chocolate, grated ( I like to use 60-70% dark chocolate)
1 cup chocolate chips
1 cup butterscotch chips
1/2 cup chopped pecans

Mix cake mix with pudding, oil, water, eggs, and sour cream.  Pour in chocolate, chips, and pecans.  Bake at 350 degrees for 35-45 minutes in a bundt pan sprayed with non-stick spray.  Cake is done when toothpick inserted is clean.  Let cool for an hour and invert on a plate.  Serve with ice cream.