Wednesday, October 6, 2010

Apple Crostada

I'm scared of pie.  It's intimidating to bake.  It takes time. . .and crisco.  My mother-in-law bakes a rockstar Strawberry Rhubarb Pie.  And who doesn't love Pumpkin Pie at Thanksgiving?  Those are the only 2 kinds of pie I ever eat.  Ever.  Last week, Jack was insistent on baking Apple Pie.  How could I get out of this one?  Apple Crostada.   I used Ina Garten's recipe from the Barefoot Contessa Parties! cookbook.  It can also be found here on  Food Network.   I followed the recipe almost exactly; except I used Haralson  (4 small/medium size) apples, per the advice from a farmer at the Kingfield Farmers Market.  He knew what he was talking about.  The apples were perfect. 

I'm also slightly afraid of using my food processor, however, with the help of my Mom, Step-dad,  and Jack. . .we pulled off making the crust.


The recipe is a bit time-consuming, but worth the work. . .the crostada was so pretty and tasted great.  I like to think it was easier than baking a pie.  And, the recipe makes 2 crusts (1 to freeze), so I have an excuse to bake it again.  Courtland is thrilled:)

Serve with a dollop of whipped cream or vanilla ice cream.